Isn’t it weird when you go on somebody’s website and the About section is all in third-person? I mean, who else is supposed to be writing this?
Angela M. Sanchez is me.
Phew! Got that out of the way.
I have written and published the children’s book, Scruffy and the Egg, and am currently working on my first young adult novel. I am most interested in urban fantasy and (as you can see) cartoons.
When I’m not drawing, I’m writing on issues related to social justice and access to higher education. My blog, Poverty2Professional, tracks my own journey from being a homeless teenager to navigating college.
PRESENTATIONS AND WORKSHOPS
I am a proud alumna of UCLA and a workshops, presentations and readings to family shelters, schools, libraries and other organizations. A few organizations that have hosted me include:
- University of Southern California, Sol Price School of Public Policy
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Orange County
- School on Wheels, Inc.
- Glendale Unified School District
- LA on Cloud 9
- Los Angeles Youth Network
- UCLA Scholarship Resource Center
- Upward Bound Los Angeles City College
- Los Angeles Public Library Student SMART Seminar
Subject areas for presentations and workshops I cover include:
- Education for adults, caregivers, and educators on talking about homeless with children and teens.
- Education for K-12 youth in understanding and/or dealing with homelessness
- College access and financial aid for grades 6-8 and 9-12
- Creative Writing for grades 8-12, and adults 18+
For booking or if you have questions of your own, please feel free to reach out to me here. I’m always excited to meet new people and help any way I can!
Below is a sample of some of the stuff I’ve written outside my blog.
- “Four Ways to Break the Cycle of Food and Housing Insecurity on Campus,” The Hechinger Report
- “At 16, my Dad and I were Evicted and Homeless in LA,” LAist
- “Unringing Bell,” Los Angeles Review of Books
- “National Funder, Local Influence: How to be Mindful,” Exponent Philanthropy
These are interviews I’ve given for news media, articles, and the radio.
- Take Two, KPCC Radio – Nov. 2018
- Pac 12 Alumni Spotlight – Jun. 2018
- “Angela Sanchez, a blossoming LA writer, was once homeless,” LA Times – Jan. 2018
- “Voluntarios hacen la diferencia,” La Opinion – Nov. 2016
- “How LA’s Female Magicians are Making the Glass Ceiling Disappear,” LA Weekly – Sept. 2016